Last modified: 2011-06-10 by jarig bakker
Keywords: hemer | gemeinde hemer | märkischer kreis county | chequy: top | square (white) | coat of arms (wolfhooks: 3) | coat of arms (wolfhooks: yellow) | coat of arms (bordure: chequy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag informally adopted before 1954, abolished 1976
Coat-of-arms adopted 1936
Hemer received city rights in 1975 when it was merged with several surrounding communes from the former Amt Hemer. Both the Amt and the commune were granted arms in 1936. (...)
The former commune Hemer used a banner with rows of alternating black and yellow squares in the top, the arms and the lettering 'Hemer' below these rows, and yellow and black stripes in the bottom. The flag was apparently not formally approved: Hostert 1979 says that it was used at least since 1960/61, but it is already mentioned in Städtebuch 1954.
The sources differ on the number and ordering of the squares: Städtebuch 1954 names four rows of squares (black-yellow), Stadler 1964-1972 names three rows, and Hostert 1979 3 × 11 squares yellow-black. The above image follows Hostert 1979 description.
Stefan Schwoon, 2 July 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Hemer grew rapidly in the early 20th century and received city rights in 1936. The arms were granted a year earlier, and show a bordure based on the arms of the Counts of the Mark, who used a chequered fess in a golden shield. The village historically belonged to the County of the Mark. The three wolf-hooks are derived from the arms of the Brabeck family (see also Gladbeck), who lived for many centuries in the local castle.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 28 May 2003