This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Steingaden Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Steingaden, Landkreis Weilhaim-Schongau, Bayern

Last modified: 2021-12-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: steingaden | griffin-lion | tower | ashlar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Steingaden municipal banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 3 Dec 2021
See also:

Steingaden Municipality

Steingaden Banner

It is a white-red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Dec 2021

Steingaden Coat of Arms

Renaissance shield parted per pale, at dexter Gules a sinister facing griffin-lion Argent, at sinister Argent a tower Gules based on two ashlars of the same.
The municipality was established on 1 April 1939 by a merger of Urspring, Fronreiten and Lauterbach. Name giver was the Premonstratensian Steingaden Monastery, which had been founded by the Welfen kin. The griffin-lion, a lion with the head of a griffin, is the oldest apocryphal heraldic animal of the kin. Its members had been Dukes of Bayern. The griffin-lion is also part of the arms of the monastery since 1441. The tower on ashlars (local German: Gaden aus Stein) is a canting element and name giver of monastery and municipality. The tower is also part of the arms of the monastery since the 16th century. Its origin might have been a Roman watchtower.
Source: "Unser Landkreis Weilheim-Schongau", Bamberg 1986, pp.158-159
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Dec 2021

Banner and arms were approved on 12 May 1939 by governor (Reichsstatthalter) of Bayern.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Dec 2021

back to Weilhaim-Schongau cities and municipalities click here