This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Weilheim-Schongau County (Germany)

Landkreis Weilheim-Schongau, Bayern

Last modified: 2021-12-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: weilheim-schongau | schongau(county) | chief | lion(black) | passant | guardant | crozier | hammer and mallet | fess(wavy) | tower(silver) | bannerhead |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Weilheim-Schongau County banner (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 11 Feb 2001
See also:

Weilheim-Schongau County

Weilheim-Schongau County Banner

The banner is ablack-yellow-blue vertical tricolour and used with and without arms. Both vertical and horizontal versions are legally correct, but we can confirm (by M. Schmöger's and my own observations) that the vertical variants are the ones in actual use.The capital is Weilheim.
Source: this online catalogue
Stefan Schwoon, 11 Feb 2001 / 24 Sep 2001

Weilheim-Schongau County plain Flag

[Weilheim-Schongau County plain flag (Germany)] 3:5 image by Stefan Schwoon 24 Sep 2001
approved 21 May 1974

It is a black-yellow-blue horizontal tricolour.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider,

Weilheim-Schongau County Coat of Arms

Shield enhanced parted per fess, above Or a lion passant guardant Sable armed and tongued Gules, beneath Azure hammer and mallet Argent in saltire superimposed by a crozier issuant Or in pale.
The arms are a combination of the lion passant guardant, or leopard, taken from the former arms of Schongau County, and the crozier and miner's tools from the former arms of Weilheim County
Linder and Olzog 1996 and Stadler 1964, p.101
Santiago Dotor, 15 Nov 2001

Flag, banner and arms were approved on 21 May 1974.
Santiago Dotor, 15 Nov 2001

Schongau County until 1972

Schongau County Banner

[Schongau County banner  until 1972] 5:2image by Stefan Schwoon, 11 July 2001

It was a black-yellow vertical bicolour with the arms in a white bannerhead. The county became part of Weilheim-Schongau County.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.81

Stefan Schwoon, 11 July 2001

Schongau County Coat of Arms

Shield Gules a fess wavy Argent, over all a tower of the same based on two ashlars of the same, chief Or a lion passant guardant Sable armed and tongued Gules.
The lion in chief is a differentiation of the arms of the Hohenstaufen kin, Dukes of Swabia and rulers of the area until 1269. The lower part shows the canting castle from the arms of the Steingaden Abbey (from Gaden auf den Steinen, tower on the stones). The abbey was one of the largest and most important monasteries in the area. The wavy bar is representing the Lech river.
Stadler 1964, p.81
Santiago Dotor, 13 June 2003

The banner was approved on 9 September 1955. The arms were approved on 6 November 1953. The symbols were abolished on 30 June 1972.
Santiago Dotor, 13 June 2003

back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here