Last modified: 2019-10-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: aldea del rey |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Aldea del Rey - Image by Ivan Sache, 7 May 2019
The municipality of Aldea del Rey (1,858 inhabitants in 2014; 15,431 ha; municipal webiste) is located 30 km south of Ciudad Real.
Aldea del Rey developed around the Sacred Convent and Castle of Calatrava la Nueva, established in 1218 by the Order of Calatrava. Following the reconquest of Calatrava, their original stronghold, in 1212, the Order relocated its headquarters to a more secure site, Calatrava la Nueva (New Calatrava), located 8 miles from the original one, soon known as Calatrava la Vieja (Old Calatrava). The subsequent history of the village is made of permanent conflicts between the Order of Calatrava, the Archbishop of Toledo and the Village Council.
Ivan Sache, 7 May 2019
The flag (photo,
photo) of Aldea del Rey is prescribed by an Order issued on 11 September 2008 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on
25 September 2008 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No.
198, p. 30,294 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, with with a red castle masoned in black surrounded in each corner by a red Cross of Calatrava.
The flag, designed by Vicente Tocino Letrado and Tomás Rodríguez Peñas, is based on the coat of arms. Red and white are the colors of
[La Gente Aldeana, 8 October 2008]
The flag was inaugurated on 8 September 2010.
[La Comarca de Puertollano, ! September 2010]
The coat of arms of Aldea del Rey is prescribed by Decree No. 654,
adopted on 21 March 1968 and published on 8 April 1968 in the Spanish
official gazette, No. 85, p. 5,291 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Argent a Cross of Calatrava gules surrounded by two keys sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.
The arms were proposed on 1 February 1966 by Ramón José Maldonado y
Cocat, who had been commissioned on 25 January 1966 by the Municipal
Council to design them. The cross and the keys recall that Aldea del Rey
was the see of the Key Warden of the Order of Calatrava.
[Ramón José Maldonado y Cocat. 1973. Heráldica municipal de la provincia de Ciudad Real. Cuadernos de Estudios Manchegos 4, 84-109]
Ivan Sache, 7 May 2019