Last modified: 2019-01-26 by ivan sache
Keywords: hinojales |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Hinojales - Image from the Símbolos de Huelva website, 29 August 2016
The municipality of Hinojales (273 inhabitants in 2015; 2,700 ha) is located on the border with Extremadura (Province of Badajoz), 140 km north of Huelva.
Ivan Sache, 29 August 2016
The flag and arms of Hinojales, adopted on 5 July 2018 by the Municipal
Council and submitted on 31 July 2018 to the Directorate General of the
Local Administration, are prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 27
September 2018 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration
and published on 3 October 2018 in the official gazette of Andalusia,
No. 102, pp. 66-67 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 3:2 (length on width), made of five parallel stripes perpendicular to the hoist. The first, second, fourth and fifth, 1/8 of the flag's width; the first and fifth, yellow, the second and fourth, blue, and the central, half the flag's width, white. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Or a castle azure port and windows argent charged with a turtledove of the same. The shield surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown closed.
The symbols, proposed on 12 May 1995 by Juan José Antequera, were adopted by the Municipal Council in 1995 or 1996, but no official document related to this adoption has been kept. More than two decades later, the symbols were officially registered, with minor changes in the wording, and correction of Antequera's odd proportions (11:18) to 2:3.
The arms are based on an oval ink seal, sporadically used between 1847 and 1853, featuring a castle charged with a bird, which could be identified as a turtledove or a related species. The seal was subsequently converted into a coat of arms, with unknown tinctures. The design was "rehabilitated", fitting the shape of the shield and the proto-heraldic charges to the modern standards of heraldry.
The castle evokes the emergence of the town as a defence against Portugal. The castle, of which nearly nothing has remained, was most probably erected in the middle of the 15th century, as a consequence of a demographic boom permitted by profuse harvests and a low frequency of plague episodes. The castle was first mentioned in a document dated 1443 listing the fortresses depending on the Council of Seville.
The turtledove has been the symbol of the town for ages, recalling its patron saint, Our Lady of the Turtledove (Tortola). The chapel of Our Lady of the Turtledove is located close to the town, surrounded by holly oaks; it keeps a paleochristian funerary stone dedicated to Basilia, "famula Cristi" (priestess), who passed away in 568. This kind of writing is very common, together with the Christ's monogram surrounded by two doves with lowered wings.
[Juan José Antequera. Principios de transmisibilidad en las heráldicas officiales de Sevilla, Córdoba y Huelva]
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2018