Last modified: 2016-05-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: navalcarnero |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Navalcarnero - Image by Ivan Sache, 17 July 2015
The municipality of Navalcarnero (26,364 inhabitants in 2014; 10,020 ha) is located in the south-west of the Community of Madrid, on the border with Castilla-La Mancha (Province of Toledo), 30 km of Madrid.
Navalcarnero was established on 10 October 1499 in the extreme south of the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia by seven colonists coming from Perales. The local lords attempted to obtain the cancellation of the foundation, but lost the cases - Gonzalo Chacón on 3 November 1502 and the Marquis of Moya on 18 January 1505. During the War of the Comuneros (1521), Alonso de Arreo, corregidor of Navalcarnero led a militia of 20 men to support the revolted town of Segovia.
Gonzalo Chacón, Count of Casarrubios, was eventually granted the rule over Navalcarnero on 31 May 1603, but this was nullified on 22 April 1617, confirming the rights of the town of Segovia. Navalcarnero was eventually granted the status of villa on 14 August 1626.
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2015
The flag of Navalcarnero (photos, photo, photo, photo, photo) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 21 October 1999 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 25 January 2000 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 20, p. 15 (text), and on 26 February 2000 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 49, p. 8,586 (text).
The flag, validated by the the Heraldry Assessors, is described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3. Red with a yellow cross reaching the center of the flag's edges.
The flag represents the geographical location of Navalcarnero at the crossing of the Royal Road of Extremadura (east-west), connecting the Spanish Court to the Kingdom of Portugal, and of the old Tirabuey trail, connecting Madrid and Segovia to Toledo (south-north).
The red background is the colour of Castile and of Segovia, to which Navalcarnero belonged from 1499 to 1627.
The coat of arms of Navalcarnero is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 31 January 2008 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 5 May 2008 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 109, pp. 22,618-22,619 (text). The coat of arms, originally adopted on 24 October 2005 by the Municipal Council, was validated by the the Heraldry Assessors (Royal Academy "Matritense" of Heraldry and Genealogy) and by the Royal Academy of History on 30 June 2005 and 21 April 2006, respectively.
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a cross or, 2. Azure an aqueduct argent masoned sable on rocks argent masoned sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The 1st quarter is derived from the flag, while the 2nd quarter features the Roman aqueduct of Segovia. Navalcarnero used the arms of Segovia at least since 1579.
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2015