Last modified: 2015-04-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: güímar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Güímar, as seen on 30 January 2008 in the Santa Cruz de Tenerife Military Museum - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 April 2007
The flag of Güímar shown in the Santa Cruz de Tenerife Military Museum is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
According to José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website) the coat of arms of Güímar is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 2 February 1928 by the Spanish Government.
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Tierced per bend, 1. Per pale, a. Gules a castle or, b. Argent a lion gules. 2. Argent an arm armed proper shaking the hand of another arm proper, 3. tenerife island emerging from the sea with the erupting Teide all proper. A bordure vert eight plows or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown open.
The bend represents the signature of the "peace without blood" by Alonso Fernández de Lugo, head of the Castilian troops, and Añaterve, Mencey (King) of Güímar, an event that facilitated the incorporation of Tenerife to the crown of Castile. The incorporation is symbolized by the two other quarters, which represent Tenerife and Castile and León, respectively. The plows in the bordure represent farmwork; their golden colour symbolizes abundancy obtained through work.
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 21 March 2008