Last modified: 2020-04-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: nuño gómez |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Nuño Gómez - Image by "Asqueladd", Wikimedia Commons, 10 September 2019
The municipality of Nuño Gómez (153 inhabitants in 2014; 1,689 ha) is located 80 km north-west of Toledo.
Nuño Gómez is the birth place of the Communist politician Simón Sánchez Montero (1915-2006; biography), a main leader of the PCE. Jailed for 17 years during the Francoist regime, Montero was among the closest councillors of his mentor and friend, the Secretary General Santiago Carrillo. Elected at the Central Committee in 1954, he redacted in 1957 the manifesto that promoted the national struggle as a pacific means to push democracy. Montero was elected Representative of Madrid in the two first democratic elections (1977 and 1979); during the crisis experienced by the party in the 1980s, he took the party of the Refounders against the Leninists. He left the PCE after the 13th congres, held in 1991, joining, with most Refounders, the Fundación Alternativas set up by the PSOE.
Ivan Sache, 10 September 2019
The flag of Nuño Gómez is prescribed in a Decree adopted on 4 May 2010 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 19 May 2010 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 95, p. 24,585 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3, vertically divided in the middle, yellow at hoist and green at fly, charged in the center with the crowned coat of arms of the municipality.
The coat of arms of Nuño Gómez is prescribed in a Decree adopted on 4 March 1992 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 13 March 1992 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 20, p. 1,055 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Per pale, 1. Argent a tree vert on a base of the same with two steps azure ensigned flanked sinister by a well azure, 2. Quarterly per saltire, 1. and 4. Gules a bend vert fimbriated or, 2. and 3. Or the angelic salute AVE MARÍA GRATIA PLENA in letter azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The proposed arms were validatd by the Royal Academy of History. The first quarter depicts the traditional meeting place of the Village Council, an old elm surrounded by steps, located near a well in the center of the village. The second quarter features the arms of the Mendoza lineage, recalling that Nuño Gómez once belonged to the domain of Montesclaros and Castillo de Bayuela. While the Marquess of Montesclaros generally used the quartered arms of Mendoza and Luna, the proposed simplification is acceptable. The Academy recommended to balzon the elements of the first quarter as proper, and to correct an error in the color assignment in the second quarter.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 189:2, 348. 1992]
Diego Hurtado de Mendoza y Figueroa (1415/1417-1479), the elder son of
Íñigo López de Mendoza, First Marquis of Santillana, was made Duke of the Infantado (full title, "Duque de las Cinco Villas del Estado del Infantado") in 1475; subsequently, the Dukes of the Infantado were made first-rank Grandees of Spain, and were therefore allowed to wear
their hat in the presence of the king. Íñigo de Arteaga y Martín (b. 1941) is the 19th Duke of the Infantado.
"Vert a bend gules fimbriated or" are the oldest known arms of Mendoza; subsequently modified several times, the arms always included a red bend on a green field. The arms quartered per saltire were introduced by the first Marquis of Santillana and appear on a seal dated 1440; the marquis quartered his father's arms (Mendoza) with his mother's arms (de la Vega). His descendants were known as Mendoza de Guadalajara or Mendoza de l'Ave María. In the representations of these arms, the first quarter is inscribed with "AVE MARÍA" while the third quarter is inscribed with "PLENA GRATIA" (or, at least "GRATIA").
[José Luis García de Paz (UAM), Los poderosos Mendoza]
Ivan Sache, 10 September 2019