This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hagondange (Municipality, Moselle, France)

Last modified: 2021-03-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: hagondange |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Hagondange, two versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 26 September 2020

See also:

Presentation of Hagondange

The municipality of Hagondange (9,243 inhabitants in 2018; 550 ha) is located 20 km north of Metz.

Hagondange was part of the former province of Trois-Évêchés, more precisely the Val de Metz. Then possession of the chapter of the cathedral of Metz, the village of Hagondange was claimed by Luxembourg which burned it down, looted it and devastated it in 1517. The town was then Luxembourgish until the Treaty of the Pyrenees signed in 1659.
Like the other municipalities of the current Moselle department, Hagondange was annexed to the German Empire from 1871 to 1918 and renamed Hagendingen. The town experienced a real industrial and demographic boom from 1910. Annexed again during the Second World War, the town was liberated on 7 September 1944 by Patton's Third Army.

Olivier Touzeau, 26 September 2020

Flag of Hagondange

Two municipal flags are hoisted in front of the Town Hall of Hagondange (photo, photo, photo):
- a white flag with the municipal logo and the municipality's name in a light font;
- a white flag with the municipalcoat of arms and logo, featuring the municipality's name in bold letters.

The arms of Hagondange were designed in 1958 by Georges Coupard. The sole official drawing and blazon are given on Grant of Municipal Arms No. 376 issued on 5 December 1958 by the Préfet of Moselle.
[Municipal website]

Georges Coupard (1889-1975; biography) was school teacher in Hagondange from 1930 to his retirement in 1950. He designed the municipal arms of Hagondange, Talange, Mondelange and Richemont, and did research on the offspring of the family of Joan of Arc.

The first quarter shows the arms of the Chapter of the Cathedral of Metz. The dextrochere holding a sword represents St. Paul, the chapter's patron saint, while the stones represent St. Stephen, the patron saint of the Diocese of Metz.
The second quarter shows the arms of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

The third quarter represents the Hagondange Watch Tower and river Moselle.
The Watch Tower, erected in the 12th century, was once the bell tower of the old St. Paul chapel. It was used by the town's guard to watch the village and its entrances. The tower was subsequently used as the bell tower of the churches erected nearby.
The tower has a square base of 4.80 m in side, a thickness of 1 m, and a height of 15.45 m. A later addition, the pyramidal roof of the tower, was removed during the restoration performed in 1973.
[Municipal website]

The fourth quarter represents the Roman past of the town: Via Agrippa, the road connecting Lugdunum (Lyon) to Augusta Treverorum (Trier), via Hagondange, and the local forges.
[Union des Cercles Généalogiques de Lorraine]

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 26 September 2020