Last modified: 2019-04-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: houlle |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Houlle - Image by Ivan Sache, 3 January 2013
The municipality of Houlle (950 inhabitants in 2009; 652 ha) is located 10 km northwest of Saint-Omer.
Houlle is listed in the book of charters of the St. Bertinus abbey,
located in Saint-Omer, as Huneles (1075), Hunela (1093), Honela
(1178), Honule (1186), and, eventually, Houlle (1296). Like most
villages in the region, Houlle mostly belonged to the abbey. In 850,
Hunroc, self-styled "Count of Houlle" and the father of Adélard, the
13th abbey of St. Bertinus, took the coat and offered his domain to
the abbey. The donation was confirmed in a charter granted by Baldwin
VII, Count of Flanders, in 1117. The neighbouring was a matter of dispute between the abbey and the lord of Saint-Omer; in 1172, Philip of Alsace, Count of Flanders, confirmed the rights of the abbey but required the payment of 25 marks to the lord. In 1180, another local lord, Walter de Formiselles, was paid 70 pounds to withdraw his claims on the marsh. The abbey also owned the mill of Houlle, another source of local dispute. The villagers often obstructed the course of water, which caused the abbot to sue them; a band led by Jean de Nièles eventually destroyed the mill, the perpetrators being sentenced on 10 September 1386 by the Chancellor of the Duke of Burgundy to rebuild the mill at their own expense. In 1524, a dam protecting the marsh was broken, the perpetrator being sentenced by the Balliff of St. Bertinus to repair it; no longer
maintained, the dam broke again in 1768, causing a major flood.
In the next centuries, the civil rule over Houlle was shared among several lords owning small, patchy domains, which caused again several disputes. In 1637, Hector de Créquy was listed as the Viscount of Houlle and the sole lord of the village, which seems to have been sold by the abbey in 1633.
[Houlle by Louis Deschamps de Pas (1816-1890), pp. 17-21 in Dictionnaire historique et archéologique du Pas-de-Calais - Arrondissement de Saint-Omer - Tome III, published in 1883 in Arras by the Department's Commission of Historical Monuments]
Ivan Sache, 3 January 2013
The flag of Houlle is red with the municipal arms in the center. A copy of the flag, in proportions 4:5, was officially offered on 21 October 1912 by the municipal administration to Daniel Briot, owner of Le Petit Baigneur* (photos), "the smallest steamboat in the world" (length, 7 m; width, 2 m; weight, 5 tonnes). In 1985, Daniel Briot brought the boat, once used as a tugboat in the Saint-Omer marsh, in his shipyard for restoration. Totally revamped after original plans dated 1857 (Napoléon III style), the boat became "the most photographed boat on the Saint-Omer marsh", appearing in the TV program L'homme du Picardie.
*Daniel Briot named the boat Le Petit Baigneur as a tribute to the film of the same name shot in 1968 by Robert Dhéry (1921-2004). In the film, the famous actor Louis de Funès (1914-1983), playing a whimsical shipyard owner, performs one of the most stunning of his numerous wrath scenes.
The arms of Houlle are "Gules a cross moline or a bordure componny of
12 pieces sable and argent a bunch of juniper proper".
The juniper bunches represent the famous gin of Houlle, currently produced by the Persyn distillery (website).
Gin distilleries were established in the north of France around 1810. Around 1850, some 70 distilleries were registered, of which only three are still active, in Houlle, Loos and Wambrechies.
The Houlle distillery was founded in 1812 in the Walle Manor by Louis Decocq. He was succeeded in 1880 by one of his remote relatives, Paul Lafoscade. After the Second World War, Paul Lafoscade Jr. sold the distillery to the Persyn family, still owner of the factory.
Ivan Sache, 3 January 2013