This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

La Wantzenau (Municipality, Bas-Rhin, France)

Last modified: 2024-03-23 by olivier touzeau
Keywords: la wantzenau |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of La Wantzenau

The municipality of La Wantzenau (5,828 inhabitants in 2018; 2,539 ha) is located 15 km north of Strasbourg.

La Wantzenau was probably established in the 8th century as a fishing outpost of Honau, a nearby monastery founded by Irish monks on an island in the Rhine river. The name does not appear in any record until 1331, as Wanzenowe. The village was granted the parish status by the Prince-Bishop of Strasbourg in 1468.
During the Thirty Years' War, in the early 17th century, the town was completely wiped out by Swedish troops. It was also badly damaged during the two World Wars.

Olivier Touzeau, 11 October 2020

The town of Saint-Yrieix (Haute-Vienne) has been twinned with La Wantzenau since 1971. The very special ties that unite Saint-Yrieix with La Wantzenau date back to the Second World War. At that time, the Saint-Yrieix barracks were used to house an additional army hospital and housing was used to house Alsatian refugees from La Wantzenau, Gambsheim and Niederbronn. Convoys brought Alsatians by the thousands to Saint-Yrieix; more than 4,000 people arrived during the month of September 1939.

Olivier Touzeau, 19 March 2022

Former flag of La Wantzenau


Former flag of La Wantzenau - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 12 October 2020

The former flag of La Wantzenau (photo, photo) was white with the former municipal logo, which was changed in 2012.

Olivier Touzeau, 11 October 2020