This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche (Municipality, Haute-Vienne, France)

Last modified: 2024-03-23 by olivier touzeau
Keywords: haute-vienne | saint-yrieix-la perche |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 19 March 2022

See also:

Presentation of Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche

Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche (6,825 inhabitants in 2021; 10,098 ha) is a commune in the Haute-Vienne department.

Saint Arède d'Atane (Aredius), born in Limoges in the 6th century, created a monastery here. The miraculous reputation of this monastery has attracted many pilgrims. This caused the development of a city near this holy place. During the 12th century, the city exceeded the walls of the abbey. Thus, tanneries and mills were created. From 1183, the Tour du Plô, called the Château de Saint-Yrieix, belonged to the Viscount of Limoges. It was only in the middle of the 16th century and more precisely in 1565 that King Charles IX gave his agreement for the creation of the municipality. Each year, 5 aldermen were elected to represent the king.
In the eighteenth century kaolin was discovered: Saint-Yrieix was the first place where kaolin was found in France, a discovery of great importance to French porcelain manufacturers. The city surgeon, Mr. Darnet, made this discovery. Following the order of the king, he took charge of the extraction. A first porcelain factory was established there in 1774.

The town of Saint-Yrieix has been twinned with La Wantzenau since 1971. The very special ties that unite Saint-Yrieix with La Wantzenau date back to the Second World War. At that time, the Saint-Yrieix barracks were used to house an additional army hospital and housing was used to house Alsatian refugees from La Wantzenau, Gambsheim and Niederbronn. Convoys brought Alsatians by the thousands to Saint-Yrieix; more than 4,000 people arrived during the month of September 1939.

Olivier Touzeau, 19 March 2022

Flag of Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche

The flag of Saint-Yrieix is white with the emblem (made of the letters S and Y, as they appear on art deco earthenware medallions located below the 1st floor windows of the city hall, buit in 1901) and the name of the city. It can be seen with the flag of La Wantzenau (white with logo) in twinnings events: photo (2018) from this page; photo, photo, photo (2016) from this page [Municipal website].

Olivier Touzeau, 19 March 2022