This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

House of Lords Yacht Club (United Kingdom)

Last modified: 2014-07-19 by rob raeside
Keywords: house of lords yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[House of Lords Yacht Club] image by Clay Moss, 14 June 2014

See also:

Flag of House of Lords Yacht Club

Blue ensign defaced with crown and anchor.

15 June 1949. Secretary to Lord Great Chamberlain to Admiralty. Formation of Yacht Club. Requested White Ensign defaced with portcullis. Burgee to be white with crown(sic) and portcullis in red. [In rules described as coronet and portcullis.]

24 June 1949. Admiralty regret unable to approve White Ensign. No objection to defaced Blue Ensign or Red Ensign. Possible objection to portcullis as Customs badge being changed to portcullis and chains surmounted by crown.

11 July 1949. Secretary of House of Lords Yacht Club. Request Blue Ensign defaced or undefaced as case may be. Did not expect undefaced White Ensign.

16 July 1949. Admiralty. Decision of 1928 that there would be no further authorisation of undefaced Blue Ensign to clubs not already granted.

3 April 1950. Secretary Yacht Club. Request foul anchor surmounted by royal coronet (coronet of Palace of Westminster), both in gold. 48 members, 26 yachts, 1,707 tons. Admiralty deducted 1/3rd from Thames Tonnage to make Registered Net Tonnage 1,138.

19 April 1950. Approved but not foul anchor. Suggest plain anchor, but not gold as this is used by vessels owned by Admiralty.

2 June 1950. Design approved in gold. In lower fly, plain vertical anchor surmounted by royal coronet.

6 June 1950. Club accepted approved design, but burgee not changed from white with Westminster portcullis and coronet in red. [National Archives, ADM 1/21976]
David Prothero, 15 June 2014


[Burgee]image by Clay Moss, 14 June 2014

A white field again charged with the badge of parliament in red.