Last modified: 2019-06-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: kriva palanka |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Kriva Palanka, horizontal and vertical versions - Images by Mello Luchtenberg, 18 November 2009
The municipality of Kriva Palanka (20,820 inhabitants; 480.81 sq. km; municipal website) is made of the town of Kriva Palanka and the 33 settlements of B's, Baštevo, Borovo, Varovište, Gabar, Golema Crcorija, Gradec, Dlabočica, Dobrovnica, Drenak, Drenje, Duračka Reka, Židilovo, Kiselica, Konopnica, Kostur, Košari, Krknja, Krstov Dol, Lozanovo, Luke, Mala Crcorija, Martinica, Metežovo, Moždivnjak, Nerav, Ogut, Osiče, Podrži Konje, Stanči, T'lminči, Trnovo and Uzem.
Kriva Palanka is located in north-eastern North Macedonia, at elevations ranging from 400 m (Slavishko Pole) to 2,252 m (Mount Ruen in the Osogovo mountains) a.s.l.. The town was founded in 1634 under the rule of Ottoman Vizir Bajram Pasha.
Ivan Sache, 11 June 2006
The Municipal Statutes of Kriva Palanka, adopted on 2 December 2003, last amended on 31 October 2006, have provisions for municipal symbols in Article 7:
The municipality shall have a coat of arms and a flag. The symbols shall be adopted via a public contest announced by the municipal administration. An ad hoc Commission will select a proposal to be approved by the majority of the Municipal Council.
The flag of Kriva Palanka, adopted on 26 October 2009, is similar in design to the first flag of the town but with new colours, red and yellow instead of blue and white. Also designed by Stojance Velickovski, the flag is used in horizontal and vertical versions.
The flag is vertically divided blue-white-blue (1:2:1) with the municipal arms (without writings) in the center. In the complete coat of arms, the shield is surmounted by the name of the municipality in Cyrillic script and surmounts the year "1633".
The building represented on the arms is, undoubtedly, the St. Joakim
Osogovski monastery located 3 km northeast of the town on the slopes of the Osogovo mountains, at an elevation of 825 m a.s.l., in a place called
The monastery is named after an ermit who lived there in the 11th century, spending an ascetic life in a cave near the monastery of Babin Dol and making a lot of miracles. The saint was honoured by Prior Teofan, who built a chapel in the 12th century with the help of the inhabitants of Kriva Palanka. The official history (Chronicles of Karlovac, 1501), says that the monastery was built by King Milutin. The monastery was visited by several historic characters, such as Stefan Dečanski on the eve of the battle of Velbuzb in 1330 and Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II on his way to Bosnia. The monks experienced financial problems in the 15th century and were granted 20 golden coins by the Council of the Republic of Dubrovnik in 1474. In the 17th century, the monastery was severely damaged by an earthquake and the monks required help from Moscow. However, the 18th century was the golden age of the monastery, which was visited by the Turkish travel-writer Evlija Celebija and Patriarch Arsenie III Čarnoević in 1683 and 1686.
Source: Municipal website
Valentin Poposki & Ivan Sache, 1 January 2010
Flag of Kriva Palanka - Image by Mello Luchtenberg, 15 February 2009
The first flag of Kriva Palanka, designed by Stojance Velickovski and adopted on 8 March 2009, is vertically divided blue-white-blue (1:2:1) with the municipal arms (without writings) in the center. In the complete coat of arms, the shield is surmounted by the name of the municipality in Cyrillic script and surmounts the year "1633".
Valentin Poposki & Ivan Sache, 15 February 2009