Last modified: 2019-06-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: petrovec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Petrovec - Image by Mello Luchtenberg, 4 April 2007
The municipality of Petrovec (8,255 inhabitants; 201.93 sq. km), located 30 km east of Skopje, is made of the 16 villages of Badar, Blace, Breznica, Gorno Konjari, Gradmanci, Diblje, Dolno Konjari, Katlanovo, Kožle, Letevci, Ognjanci, Petrovec, P'žanicino, Sredno Konjari, Sušica and Kjojlija.
The Skopje International Airport "Alexander the Great", built in 1928, is located near the village of Petrovec. The Petrovec Air Force Base is co-located with the airport. Petrovec was an important air base, hosting the 98. Avio Brigada of the Yugoslav Air Force until 1992. Following independence, Petrovec became the main base for the newly established Macedonian Air Force on 10 June 1992. It is currently the base for all four Air Force squadrons.
Source: YuAirWar website
In spring 2006, the government of North Macedonia announced a project of building a nuclear waste storage in Petrovec; in spite of having told they would not be at risk, the inhabitants have expressed a strong opposition to the project.
Source: Courrier des Balkans
Ivan Sache, 8 April 2007
The flag of Petrovec (Macedonian Ministry of Local
Self-Government website,page no longer online), is red with the municipal emblem in canton.
The emblem is made of a red map of the municipality placed on a blue disk bordered with 16 yellow stars (probably representing the 16 villages forming the municipality) and two tobacco leaves placed at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock. The name of the municipality is written in blue Cyrillic letters on a yellow scroll placed below the emblem.
The municipal website shows a rotated version of the horizontal flag, with the emblem awkwardly placed in the upper right corner, and itself not rotated towards the horizontal.
Ivan Sache & Valentin Poposki, 8 April 2007