This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Heeg (The Netherlands)

Wymbritseradiel municipality, Fryslân province

Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: heeg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Heeg village flag] by Jarig Bakker, 10 Oct 2003 See also:

Heeg village (Heech)

Heeg (Frisian: Heech) is a village in Wymbritseradiel municipality in Fryslân province in the Netherlands. Not to be confused with the mighty stins near Engwierum (Dongeradeel), which is "It Heech", and now completely demolished after some archeological experimenting by the Ingwjirrumers. (Remember: when practicing archeaology: leave the brandy at home!)
Heeg (pop. (1958): 1576; (1976): 1494) is SSW of Sneek city, on the Heegermeer, one of the most important Frisian lakes. The village has 4 churches, two ex-dairy factories, some agricultural activity and some eel-poaching, but the main resource is the tourist trade. Until 1914 the Heeger eels were exported to London (GB).
Nickname: "Brêgebidlers", "Brêgewippers", "Kikkerts" (bridgebeggars, -wobblers, frogs) - the bridge unfortunately is a fixed one; the terrace offers no exciting view of (un)able sailors.
Heeg Coat of Arms: in blue a golden eel in a reversed S-position, with its head upward and watching a canton: per fess red and silver with over all a fleur-de-lis (lily) countercharged.
Flag: blue with a square canton with 3/7 flagheight with two equally wide stripes of red and white.
The Coat of Arms was designed by Piet Bultsma; it was based on the old known flag of this fishing village; the eel reminds of the old eel-trade. The canton is charged with the fleur-de-lis of the Coat of Arms of Wymbritseradiel.
The flag was (re)discovered by Klaes Sierksma in 1960. It is documented in Steenbergen's flagbook (c. 1870), and could be admired on the Northsea and under the Thamesbridge. Until 1914 eel-skippers had a priviliged berth in London, with this flag in top. It can also be admired on old paintings, like in the "Scheepvaartmuseum" in Sneek, with ships "along the English coast" with the Heeger flag. On the flagchart of Joseph Roux (1766), stored in the Navymuseum in Paris, this flag is also present.
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 1990.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Sierksma's Nederlands Vlaggenboek, 1962.
Jarig Bakker, 10 Oct 2003

Heeg old flag

Heech village Shipmate Flagchart :

known at least since 1766.

Heeg Coat of Arms

[Heeg Coat of Arms] from Ralf Hartemink's site. (see also Gaastmeer)