In 2004 the new municipality of Oost Gelre
was formed by the merger of the former municipalities of Groenlo
Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 19.446; area: 73,83 km². Settlements:
Lichtenvoorde (seat), Harreveld, Lievelde, Vragender, Zieuwent.
Lichtenvoorde is a municipality in the Achterhoek, East Gelderland.
This area was already inhabited 5000 years ago. In the 10the century AD
it became a 'heerlijkheid' - 'lordship', which was inherited by
the Polish prince Adam Czartorisky, who sold it to Prince Willem V in 1776.
The old flag was divided vertically Yellow - Red and in the center the
municipal Coat of Arms, crowned; it was adopted 1958, after it had been used for
several years unofficially. The castle on the Coat of Arms reminds of the former
Jarig Bakker, 4 October 1999