This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hauwert (The Netherlands)

Medemblik municipality, Noord-Holland province

Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: hauwert |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Hauwert village flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 18 Apr 2008
adopted 23 Jan 2008; design: Hans van Heijningen

See also:

Hauwert village flag

Hauwert is a village in Medemblik municipality in Noord-Holland, till 1978 part of the former municipality of Nibbixwoud, then part of Noorderkoggenland, and in 2007 part of Medemblik.

Flagdescription: 5 vertical stripes of black, green, yellow, black, green, proportioned 1:1:4:1:1, with in center of the yellow stripe a black withered tree on a loose green terrace, charged at the fly-side with green foliage; the tree = 4/5 flagheight.
adopted 23 January 2008 by the village council; design: Hans van Heijningen.

Arms: or a black withered tree issuant, charged sinister with foliage vert; a base vert.

On the 'Wapenlijst van de Afdeling Opmeer van de Hollandsche Maatschappij van Landbouw' (Jacob Storm, 1853) (Armorial of the division Opmeer of the Dutch Agricultural Society) several village arms of West-Friesland were depicted, nearly all in natural colors. The tree-arms even had clouds and the birds had nearly photographic quality. Possibly these were arms before 1795-1813. The plates were discovered after the flag of Sijbekarspel was designed, but that young flag was not redone.

For Hauwert there was a tree without birds, but it contained, uniquely, a tree-half with leaves. For the design of flag and arms a tree was chosen which differed as much as possible from the arms of Blokker and Bovenkarspel.
The flag was originally designed black-yellow-green, proportioned 1:2:1, with on yellow the withered tree. The village council suggested to "break" the black and green stripes, which didn't seem a bad idea.
Jarig Bakker, 18 Apr 2008

Hauwert Coat of Arms

[Hauwert coat of arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 18 Apr 2008
adopted 23 Jan 2008; design: Hans van Heijningen