Last modified: 2015-01-17 by alex garofolo
Keywords: itapúa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The flag of Cambyretá is horizontally divided golden (dark) yellow- white-green (2:1:1). The flag was deigned by members of the educational community of Cambyretá National College, directed by Pr. Francisco Rafael Saucedo.
Golden (dark) yellow represents the morning, fruits, gold nuggets, seeds of soybean, wheat and maize, sandy beaches and wisdom of sons and daughters instilled by the Holy Ghost.
White represents the tender and limpid smile of the sons and daughters and of the youth, cotton bolls irrigated by the farmer's sweat and tears, and fortifying milk, the town's namesake.
Green represents mother nature and its woods, supplying oxygen to
life, the pastures grazed by cows, the green sea of hope for soybean,
maize, yerba mate and other fruit promising a nice future.
Ivan Sache, 21 Aug 2013
The flag was adopted on 11 December 1992 by Municipal Decree No. 236.
"Article 1. The official flag of Encarnación, capital of the Department of Itapúa, shall be the design proposed by the young Ricardo Sebastian Dominguez Rettori, whose colours and characteristics are detailed in the Preamble of this Decree. Article 2. The use of this flag shall be mandatory in all the public institutions and public or private educational institutes of the Town of Encarnación. [...]"
The Preamble of the Decree recalls that the winning proposal was selected on 3 December 1992 among eight proposals submitted on 20 November 1992. The designer of the flag described it as follow: "This flag of mine shall be in plain shining pearl colour, recalling that Encarnación is nicknamed "La Perla del Sur" (The Pearl of the South). In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Three diagonal stripes cross the flag from the lower left to upper right corner.
The red stripe represents the force of the Encarnación land as well as its power whatever the waves of increasing violence and the storms that have characterized the town history. The yellow stripe is a tribute to the founders of the town who placed themselves under God's protection, especially Father Roque González de Santa Cruz. The blue stripe represents river Paraná [É].
The Jesuit missionary Roque González de Santa Cruz (1576-1628; aka Rocco González, Roch González) found several reductions (indigenous settlements) in places that are today part of Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay. Beatified on 28 January 1934, Roque González was canonized on 16 May 1988 by Pope John Paul II, being the first Paraguayan saint, ever. He is the patron saint of the towns of Posadas (Argentina) and Encarnación. On 25 March 1615, Roque González celebrated the mass officializing the foundation of the reduction of Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación o Anunciación de Itapúa, the first reduction in the Paraná region - today the town of Posadas, Argentina. Locally known as Itapúa, the settlement was moved a few years later on the other bank of the Paraná; it was made a "villa" and officially renamed Encarnación on 8 April 1843.
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2010
The municipal coat of arms was designed in 1960 by the Municipal Councillor J. Aníbal Romero R.
The shield is made of stone, recalling that Itapúa means "standing stone" and the foundation of the reduction by Roque González on accumulated stones. The "rustic" cross made of two pieces of local timber recalls the Christian faith. The cross is charged with a bell pointing down to the left, the direction of the heart.
A lapacho tree (Tabebuia impetiginosa, the national tree of Paraguay) is placed in the upper left corner, with three pieces of log. Five leaves of yerba mate (Ilex paraguariensis) , symbolizing the hand of friendship, are placed in the upper right corner, together with a mate (the customary gourd used to prepare and drink mate), symbolizing the hospitality of the locals. An indigenous man's head is placed in the lower left corner. Roque González' nimbed head is placed in the lower right corner.
Source: the official website of Encarnación
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2010
The District / Municipality of Tomás Romero Pereira was established on 22 September 1983 by Law No. 1,009 with parts of the Domingo Robledo District. The municipality is named for Tomás Romero Pereira (1886-1982), President of the Republic from 8 May to 15 august 1954 and predecessor to Alfredo Stroessner, who ruled until 1989.
The flag of Tomás Romero Pereira is prescribed by Decree 96-01/97-051, adopted on 8 May 1997 by the Municipal Council and signed on 16 June 1997 by the Mayor. Article 1 prescribed the flag as made of three equal horizontal stripes, green, white and orange.
Green represents the agricultural resources, the mountains and the forests.Article 2 seems to indicate that the seal of the municipality should not be placed on the flag.
White represents peace, harmony and purity of soul.
Orange represents the products of the soil, that is carrot and orange.
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.