This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mariemont, Ohio (U.S.)

Hamilton County

Last modified: 2021-06-05 by rick wyatt
Keywords: mariemont | ohio | hamilton county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Mariemont, Ohio] image by Masao Okazaki, 6 May 2021
based on photo located by Valentin Poposki, 8 June 2020
See also: 

See also:

Description of the flag

The village of Mariemont (3,464 inhabitants in 2018; 231 ha) was designed a National Historic Landmark in 2007.

The village of Mariemont was established in 1920 by the philanthropist Mary Emery (1844-1927), who named it after her estate located near Newport, Rhode Island.

"Although Mariemont seems like a place torn from a page of history or whimsically recreated from a Norman Rockwell painting, much was involved in the process of bringing Mariemont to fruition. For more than fifteen years prior to its initial construction, Mariemont’s founder, Mary Emery meticulously acquired land and spent upwards of seven million dollars in the development efforts for the “national exemplar” town. Her ultimate vision for the project was to create a place where people of all income levels could reside, whether seeking quality rental property or purchasing single-family homes. The project became the costliest venture of Mary’s life and remains the most significant testament to her altruistic concern for community and her devotion to human welfare.
Although known for her many philanthropic endeavors throughout Cincinnati, Mrs. Emery was very much a private person. Nonetheless, Mariemont’s ceremonious inauguration in the spring of 1923 saw one of the nation’s wealthiest women thrust into the local limelight, as both Cincinnati newspapers and hundreds of people joined Mary with her silver spade in one hand, and a bouquet of roses in the other. Her nurse stands close by, as Mrs. Emery was not well, and in fact, died four years later. Turning the first piece of Mariemont’s soil with the silver spade, Mary was filmed by a cameraman from Pathé News."
Seth Rosen. Construction of Mariemont
Mariemont Preservation Foundation

"Mary Emery’s vision for the new town of Mariemont was for everything to be of the highest quality. This thinking extended to the selection of John Nolen of Cambridge, Massachusetts as town planner. When Charles Livingood, Mary Emery’s business manager, first approached him in 1920, Mr. Nolen was firmly established as the top town planner in the United States. His credentials included many successful projects, including improvements to Cohasset, Massachusetts in 1916, the lovely Union Park Gardens near Wilmington, Delaware in 1918, and the planned community of Kingsport, Tennessee in 1919.
Nolen was involved in the creation of Mariemont for five years, from 1920-1925. The intention was to develop Mariemont as an example for more towns like it to be developed across the country. However, neither Mr. Nolen’s original blueprint, nor the idea of a “national exemplar” was fully realized. Mary Emery’s death in 1927 and the subsequent economic upheaval of the Depression prevented some of the plans from coming to fruition.
A great deal was accomplished, however. John Nolen had Wooster Pike straightened so that it ran through the center of the new village, rather than ducking down towards the Little Miami, as it did prior to construction. His street and landscape plans were followed to the letter, resulting in the lovely village we enjoy today. Running phone and electric wires underground was part of the original, and Mr. Nolen played a key role in the selection of the top-flight architects who were selected to create the look of the town."
John Nolen - Town Planner
Mariemont Preservation Foundation

"The Mariemont flag, which depicts the Emery Memorial Carillon in Dogwood Park, was unveiled at the Kiwanis Labor Day Festival Sept. 3, 1979, after Mrs. Schwenkmeyer won a design contest. Carolyn Schwenkmeyer, a well-known artist of children’s portraits, lived in Mariemont for many years."
Gift Shop Official Mariemont Village Flag
Mariemont Preservation Foundation

The flag features Carillon Tower.
"Dogwood Park, the largest public area in Mariemont (about 17 acres) was chosen as the site of an impressive bell tower. Although the fields were graded in 1925, the Carillon (height 100 feet), the gift of Isabella F. Hopkins, Mrs. Emery's sister, was dedicated on November 16, 1929. The tower houses a full range of 49 bells, each weighing between 19 pounds and 4800 pounds."
A Tour of Mariemont. Mariemont Preservation Foundation

"Portraits of this village's founder, Mary Emery, and its first mayor, E. Boyd Jordan, hang in the room where Village Council meets. Between the paintings by Carolyn Schwenkmeyer hangs the village flag, which the artist designed.

Mrs. Schwenkmeyer, who also was one of the founding trustees of the Mariemont Preservation Foundation, died Feb. 8 at an Anderson Township nursing home. The former longtime Mariemont resident was 100.
n 1980, Mrs. Schwenkmeyer helped found the Mariemont Preservation Foundation. She served more than six years on the board of trustees of the organization, which strives to maintain the historic integrity of the village, beautify it, and preserve and improve its parks, playgrounds and other public areas.
Obituary, The Cincinnati Enquirer, 16-17 February 2011
Ivan Sache, 13 April 2020