This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Baie-Saint-Paul, Quebec (Canada)

Ville de Baie-Saint-Paul

Last modified: 2020-05-13 by rob raeside
Keywords: quebec | baie-saint-paul | tree | cross | crossed swords |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Town of Baie-Saint-Paul (Quebec - Canada)] image by Arnaud Leroy, 29 July 2006
Source: Town hall

See also:

The Municipality

The municipality of Baie-Saint-Paul (7,146 inhabitants in 2016; 54,743 ha) is located 100 km from the town of Quebec.

Baie-Saint-Paul was most probably settled around 1650. Descellier's map (1550) mentions the place as Baie de l'Ilet., while Samuel de Champlain (1632) called it Baie du Gouffre (Abyss Bay) for the twirl he observed at the confluence of the river and of the Saint-Laurent. 
The name of Baie Saint-Paul was used in 1665 by Pierre Boucher in his report to the king of France on the damaged caused by the 1663 earthquake.
The first known settlers of the place are Simard and Tremblay (1668).
The Royal Intendent Jean Talon established there the Royal tar manufacture because of the profuse resources in red pines.
While church registers were initiated in 1681, the parish was canonically erected on 21 September 1715. Established on 1 July 1845, the municipal parish was subsequently granted the status of municipality, village, and, eventually town (1961). - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 26 March 2017

The flag

The arms of Baie-Saint-Paul have a red field; the colour of martyr, to symbolize St. Paul, the town's patron saint. The two swords crossed in saltire in the chief also recall the beheading of the saint. The oak is a symbol of courage, force and stability, recalling the early settlers who fiercely faced adversity. The orb is symbol of deity and monarchy, recalling that St. Paul evangelized a great part of the Roman Empire. Blue is a symbol of France, the country of origin of the colonists. The two eagles are taken from the arms of His Grace de Laval, first Bishop of Quebec and lord of Baie-Saint-Paul, who commissioned in spring 1678 NoŽl Simard to settle the region.
The French motto reads "My Force [Comes] From Above", recalling that God supplied the colonists with the force required to settle the region. - Municipal website

Photos of the flag

Ivan Sache, 26 March 2017