This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Lotbinière, Quebec (Canada)


Last modified: 2022-02-19 by rob raeside
Keywords: lotbinière | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Lotbinière] image by Masao Okazaki, 13 February 2022
based on photo located by by Dave Fowler, 12 February 2022

See also:


The municipality of Lotbinière (855 inhabitants in 2021; 10,000 ha) is located on the southern shore of the Saint-Lawrence, 70 km downstream of Québec.

Lotbinière was established as a feudal domain granted on 3 November 1672 by Jean Talon (1616-1694), first Intendant of Nouvelle-France, to René-Louis Chartier de Lotbinière. The domain was significantly increased in 1685, 1686 and 1693. In 1709, the year of the death of the lord, the domain was inhabited by only 21 households.
Municipal website

René-Louis Chartier de Lotbinière (1641-1709), the grandson of René-Pierre Chartier, ordinary physicist of King Louis XIII, landed with his family in Canada on 13 October 1651. member of the failed expedition led by Rémy de Courcelle against the Iroquois village in 1666, he related the event in a burlesque poem, "Voyage de Monsieur de Courcelles", composed of 510 verses. Quite long, boring and poorly written, the poem is, however, the oldest known poem written by a French Canadian.
Appointed Councillor at the Sovereign Council on 29 May 1674, he succeeded on 1 May 1677 his father as Chief Justice at the Quebec Provostship for the next 26 years. He was appointed Judge of the Admiralty Court on 28 December 1698, but the establishment of the Court was postponed until 1717.
On 1 June 1703, Louis XIV named Chartier First Councillor at the Higher Council, that is the 4th most important official of the colony after the Governor, the Intendant and the Bishop.
Dictionnaire biographique du Canada

His son, Eustache Chartier de Lotbinière (1688-1749), succeeded him at the Higher Council on 5 May 1710. In 1713, he became the sole lord of Lotbinière after his brother and three sisters had ceded him their rights. After the death of his wife during the birth of their eighth child on 24 April 1723, he took the coat on 5 April 1726 and was subsequently appointed Archdeacon and Vicar General by Bishop Jean-Baptiste de Saint-Vallier
Dictionnaire biographique du Canada

Ivan Sache, 13 February 2022


Flag is the municipal logo on white.
Dave Fowler
, 12 February 2022

The logo features the towers of the Saint-Louis-de-Lotbinière church, designed by priest Jérôme Demers, from the Quebec Seminary, and by architect and sculptor François Baillairgé (1759-1830).
The church was consecrated in 1822. Its inner decoration was made in the middle 19th centuries by famous sculptors, including Thomas Baillairgé (1791-1859), the designer's son. The big (5 m in height) wooden statue representing St. Louis (not shown on the logo) was designed in 1888 by sculptor Louis Jobin (1845-1928). The church was registered as an Historical Monument on 27 July 1965.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 13 February 2022