This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sainte-Marie, Quebec (Canada)


Last modified: 2021-01-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: sainte-marie | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Sainte-Marie] image by Masao Okazaki, 15 December 2020

See also:


Photos of this flag were posted by Luc Vartan Baronian:

It is a Canadian pale coloured green-white-red with a narrow white border and the shield centred.
Masao Okazaki, 15 December 2020

The municipality of Sainte-Marie (13,606 inhabitants; 10,912 ha) is located 40 km south of Quebec.

Sainte-Marie is named for Marie-Claire Fleury de La Gorgendière, the wife of Thomas-Jacques Taschereau, who was erected first lord of the place in 1736. After the death of her husband, she acted as the lord for the next 24 years.

Thomas-Jacques Taschereau (1680-1749) was the son of Christophe Taschereau de Sapaillé, Director of the Mint and Treasurer of the town of Tours (France). He landed in Quebec on 28 August 1726 as the secretary of Intendant of New France Claude-Thomas Dupuy. Back to France, he was appointed in February 1732 Treasurer General of the Navy in Canada; on 1 April 1735, he was named Councillor at the Superior Council, then one of the highest offices in the colony. Taschereau established on 16 October 1736 a business partnership with François-Étienne Cugnet, Pierre-François Olivier de Vézin, Jacques Simonet d’Abergemont and Ignace Gamelin Jr. to exploit the Saint-Maurice forges; the lack of experience of Olivier de Vézin, manager of the company, caused its bankruptcy and taking over by the crown in 1740.

On 23 September 1736, Governor Charles de Beauharnois and Intendant Hocquart granted three neighboring domains, of similar area, to Joseph de Fleury de La Gorgendière and his two sons-in-law, Thomas-Jacques Taschereau and Pierre de Rigaud de Vaudreuil de Cavagnial. Land surveyor Noël Bonhomme, dit Beaupré delimited the three domains in December 1737.
Taschereau took great care of his domain and is considered as a main contributor to the colonization of Beauce, but he seemingly never visited it. He was succeeded as the lord of Sainte-Marie by his younger son, Gabriel-Elzéar (1745-1809). His grand grand son, Elzéar-Alexandre Taschereau (1820-1898), was appointed Archbishop of Quebec in 1870 and the first Canadian cardinal in 1886.
Dictionnaire biographique du Canada

The arms of Sainte-Marie were unveiled in 1959.
The lions recall the English rule and are also featured on the arms of Lionel Audet (1908-1989, Auxiliary Bishop of Quebec, 1952-1983), who was born in Sainte-Marie.
The swords and stars recall the French rule. The swords are taken from the arms of the Taschereau lineage, first lords of Sainte-Marie.
The white cross represents the Roman Catholic church.
The golden fleur-de-lis represents Quebec.
The waves represent river Chaudière.
The maple leaves represent Beauce, sugar maple's country.
The Latin motto, "Unum corpus sumus", reads "United in a single body".
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 19 December 2020