Gules, St. Fridolin marchant gardant argent, vested shoed and crined
sable, nimbused or, carrying dexter a bourdon and sinister the Gospel
On a red field, St. Fridolin walking towards the hoist and turning to
face the viewer; his head and hands are white; hair, shoes and
vestments are black; his halo (nimbus), staff and Bible are yellow or
gold. In practice the image and stance of St. Fridolin has varied
considerably. Sometimes he wears a hat; sometimes his Bible is red;
sometimes his vestments are brown; sometimes he carries a pilgrim's
bag; and from about 1437 to 1578 his plain pilgrim's staff was
replaced by an abbot's or bishop's crozier. The modern, very stiff
pose with sickly white face and hands was created by Ernst Keller and
officially adopted in 1959.
There is some question whether St. Fridolin, who allegedly lived in
the 6th century, ever existed. According to legend he was a Scottish
or Irish missionary (under the direction of St. Columban -- not to be
confused with Columba) who evangelised the German tribes with the
blessing of the king of the Francs who had just converted to
Christianity. He founded the monastery of Sackingen (umlaut on the
a) on an island in the Rhine river, which ruled Glarus. Fridolin had
evanglised Glarus after the founding of the monastery, and a Frankish
count by the name of Urs bequeathed Glarus to the monastery in his
last will. His brother Landolf contested the will, but Fridolin
brought Urs back from the dead to prove his case. The great distance
from Sackingen meant that Glarus enjoyed considerable independence,
and by 1289 the town had its own seal. The seal showed a cleric
kneeling and praying to the Virgin Mary. This might actually have
been the prototype for St. Fridolin, whose first documented
appearance on the Glarus flag is in 1388 (at the battle of Nafels).
From about that time to 1792, the Glarus banner was always topped
with a white Schwenkel. Real or fictitious, Fridolin remains the
patron saint of Glarus. Glarus formally became a sovereign state
in 1323 and joined the Swiss confederation in 1352.
T.F. Mills, 17 October 1997
The current symbols date from 1959. Until 1792, a white streamer adorned the
Source: Angst (1992), "A Panoply of
Colours: The Cantonal Banners of Switzerland and the Swiss National Flag"
Simple rectangular cantonal flag, as shown in Kannik (1956). Ole Andersen, 4 August 2002
Flaggen, Knatterfahnen and Livery Colours
images by Pascal Gross
Flaggen are vertically hoisted from a crossbar in the manner of gonfanon, in ratio of about 2:9, with a swallowtail that indents about 2 units. The chief, or hoist (square part) usually incorporates the design from the coat of arms - not from the flag. The fly part is always divided lengthwise, usually in a bicolour, triband or tricolour pattern (except Schwyz which is monocolour, and Glarus which has four stripes of unequal width). The colours chosen for the fly end are usually the main colours of the coat of arms, but the choice is not always straight forward.
Knatterfahnen are similar to Flaggen, but hoisted from the long side and have no swallow tail. They normally show the national, cantonal or communal flag in their chiefs.