The arms of Zug were probably granted by Rudolf of Hapsburg, whose
own arms were "gules, a fess argent" (i.e. same design, different
colours). The original owners of Zug were the counts of Lenzburg
whose arms were a blue disk on a white field. Thus the Zug flag and
arms appear to be derived from Hapsburg and Lenzburg. (Some sources
attribute the colour influence to neighboring Luzern and Zurich.) A
fess is sometimes interpreted to be a military belt or a girdle of
Zug was a town of the Austrian dukes and waged war against the Swiss
Confederation, most notably at the battle of Mortgarten in 1315. The
Austrians used Zug as a wedge and staging point in campaigns against
the Swiss, but when in 1351 Zurich joined the Confederation Zug was
totally surrounded and its position untenable. The Swiss besieged
Zug, and when it became clear that Duke Albrecht had abandoned them,
they opened their gates and went over to the Confederate side. By the
Peace of Thorberg in 1368 Zug was officially admitted to the
Confederation, but in 1414 this arrangement was backdated to 1352.
The earliest evidence of the Zug flag is dated at 1319.
Simple rectangular cantonal flag, as shown in Kannik (1956). Ole Andersen, 4 August 2002
Flaggen, Knatterfahnen and Livery Colours
by Pascal Gross
Flaggen are vertically hoisted from a crossbar in the manner of gonfanon, in ratio of about 2:9, with a swallowtail that indents about 2 units. The chief, or hoist (square part) usually incorporates the design from the coat of arms - not from the flag. The fly part is always divided lengthwise, usually in a bicolour, triband or tricolour pattern (except Schwyz which is monocolour, and Glarus which has four stripes of unequal width). The colours chosen for the fly end are usually the main colours of the coat of arms, but the choice is not always straight forward.
Knatterfahnen are similar to Flaggen, but hoisted from the long side and have no swallow tail. They normally show the national, cantonal or communal flag in their chiefs.