Last modified: 2019-09-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: hinojosas de calatrava |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Hinojosas de Calatrava (532 inhabitants in 2018; 10,252 ha) is located 70 km south-west of Ciudad Real.
Hinojosas de Calatrava is the birth place of the feminist school
teacher, writer and lawyer Leonor Serrano Pablo (1890-1942). Impressed
by Leonor during an official visit, Regent María Cristina offered her a
grant to study at the College of the Sacred Heart in Madrid. Appointed
school teacher in Barcelona, she was sent to Rome to meet Maria
Montessori. In 1924, she visited for four months specialized centers of
education in France, Belgium and Switzerland to develop people's
education in Spain.
During the repression ordered by Primo de Rivera, she was jailed in Castellón, Huesca and, eventually, Saragosse, where she studied Law. During the Second Republic, she was member of the Unión Socialista de Cataluña and was elected in April 1932 Secretary of Culture and Women's Action at the Union's Executive Committee; she was editor of the newspaper Justicia Social and published a series of feminist articles entitled Tiempos Nuevos in the Barcelone daily "La Noche. As a lawyer, she joined the 1st Catalan Law Congress, celebrated in 1936 during the Civil War. After the death of her husband and her elder son in an air raid, she exiled to France. Back to Madrid in 1939, she was accused of "leftism, rationalism and secularism" but died before the end of her trial.
[MiCiudadReal, 7 October 2016]
Ivan Sache, 18 May 2019
The flag of Hinojosas de Calatrava is prescribed by an Order issued on
23 August 2004 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on
2 September 2004 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 161,
pp. 14,140-14,141 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel in proportions 2:3, divided per saltire in four parts. The upper and lower parts, yellow, the other ones, red. Superimposed in the center with the crown coat of arms of the town of Hinojosas de Calatrava.
The coat of arms of Hinojosas de Calatrava is prescribed by Decree No.
34, issued on 13 April 1987 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and
published on 21 April 1987 in the official gazette of Castilla-La
Mancha, No. 19, p. 933 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Argent a Cross of Calatrava gules, 1b. Argent two fennel branches, 2. Represented as his statue venerated in the local church, St. Bernard. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed..
The flag was inaugurated on 19 April 2011.
The greenness of fennel (hinojo) synthesizes the products of the soil, bread and olive oil that have always fed the village. The Cross of Calatrava represents its history and St. Bernard, the village's patron saint, represents faith.
[La Comarca de Puertollano, 19 APril 2011]
Ivan Sache, 18 May 2019