Last modified: 2019-10-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: horcajo de santiago |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Horcajo de Santiago - Image by "Ivanics", Wikimedia Commmons, 26 June 2019
The municipality of Horcajo de Santiago (3,526 inhabitants in 2018; 9,603 ha; municipal website) is located 100 km south-west of Cuenca.
Horcajo de Santiago was established by Mozarab shepherds from the
neighboring settlements (Torrubia, Casasola, La Moraleja, La Cabeza,
Membrilla), who had to move ever farther to find new pastures. The new
colonists settled the lower mounts and established cave dwellings in the
hills bordering rivers. El Horcajo (The Fork) was established near brook
The village was mentioned in 1276 as part of the Commandery of Velmontejo, ruled by the Order of St. James from Uclès (church administration) and Ocaña (civil administration).
Velmontejo, today an archeological site, was an old village located on the bank of river Bedija, on a strategic place on the road connecting Uclès to Upper Mancha. The settlement was first mentioned in 1200 but might be much older. In the aftermath of the 1348-1350 epidemic of black plague that depopulate Valmontejo, the seat of the commandery was transferred in 1387 to Horcajo, known as a town with a council since 1331.
Ivan Sache, 26 June 2019
The flag of Horcajo de Santiago (photo,
photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 17
March 2003 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 26
March 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 42, p. 4,711 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, blue with a white triangle running from the hoist to the fly's midpoint, charged with the cross-sword of the Order of Saint James with two scallops, one on each side, both red.
The coat of arms of Horcajo de Santiago is prescribed by an Order issued
on 17 March 2003 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published
on 26 March 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 42,
p. 4,711 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Argent a cross-sword of St. James gules surrounded by two scallops of the same, 2. Azure a Marian monogram composed o the interlaced letters "A" and "M" surrounded by twelve stars in orle all argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown. The stars shall have six points.
Ivan Sache, 26 June 2019