Last modified: 2019-08-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: güevéjar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Güevéjar - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 26 September 2015
The municipality of Güevéjar (2,558 inhabitants in 2014; 975 ha; municipal website) is located 10 km north of Granada.
Güevéjar was damaged on 1 November 1755 by an earthquake, as described in bureaucratic style in the municipal Cadaster Book. Out of the 323 inhabitants of Güevéjar, only 25 (five households) settled back the village after the event, while most of the population emigrated to Calicasas and Nívar. Out of the 70 houses that formed the village, 65 were ruined. Tax exemption boosted the subsequent recolonization of the village.
Güevéjar was damaged again on 25 December 1884 by the much more violent earhtquake that killed 745 and injured another 1,501 in several settlements of the Provinces of Granada and Málaga.
Ivan Sache, 26 September 2015
The flag (photo, photo) and arms of Güevéjar are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 9 November 1988 by the Municipal Council. Validated by "administrative silence" of the Government of Andalusia, this was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, made of three equal horizontal stripes, the upper green, the central white, and the lower red. In the center is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Argent an olive tree eradicated vert, 2. Argent a mount gules charged with a town argent all over two faults of the same fimbriated sable. Grafted in base, Gules a castle or masoned sable port and windows azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History suggested modifications to the coat of
arms, which were not acted.
The arms, designed from scratch, show in the first quarter an olive tree, as a symbol of local economy and landscape, and in the second quarter a hamlet on a mountain background, "with two parallel faults diagonally crossing the quarter", that is, the so-called Peñón Bartolo and an allusion to the two seismic events in the zone, dating back to one century but still vivid in collective memory. The proposed coat of arms includes other graphic elements allegedly connected to the place but inappropriate because of their lack of heraldic consistency and the complication of the organization of the arms they induce.
The Academy recommended to restrict the arms to these two quarters and to represent the town by houses gules arranged in three fesses and the mount vert.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 196:3, 470-471. 1989]
Ivan Sache, 24 March 2019