Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: molvízar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Molvízar - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 14 May 2014
The municipality of Molvízar (2,903 inhabitants in 2014; 2,147 ha; municipal website) is located 12 km of Motril and 70 km south of Granada.
Molvízar was established during the Nasrid period, as an alquería (hamlet) part of the taha of Salobreña, itself part of the cora of Elvira. Molvízar and the whole taha of Salobreña were reconquerred in late 1489 by the Christians. Molvízar was incorporated in 1492 to Salobreña. In late December 1568, the 70 families living in the village jointed the uprising. Salobreña was soon sacked by its Mayor; the men were sent to the galleys while the women were sold as slaves. Warned, the villagers of Molvízar hid in the mountains and escaped deportation. After the expelling of the Msriscos from Spain in 1609-1611, the village was re-settled by 25 households.
Ivan Sache, 14 May 2014
The flag of Molvízar, adopted on 18 December 1998 by the Municipal Council, is prescribed by Decree No. 37, adopted on 23 February 1999 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 18 March 1999 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 33, pp. 3,298-3,299 (text. Originally adopted on 20 November 1997 by the Municipal Council, the flag was rejected by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, which required simplification, suppression of the white fimbriation, and incorporation of the municipal coat of arms. The final Decree was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, one and a half longer (from hoist to fly) than wide. Diagonally divided, reseda yellow, flag blue, and flag green; centered, all over, the local coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Molvízar, adopted on 20 November 1997 by the Municipal Council and validated on 4 November 1998 by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, is prescribed by Decree No. 267, adopted on 15 December 1998 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 12 January 1999 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 5, pp. 429-430. (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Argent a nut tree eradicated proper surrounded dexter by a bunch of grapes fimbriated vert slipped proper sinister by a scimitar bladed azure and hilted sable in base four waves azure and argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The grapes refer to the traditional, local production of wine. Nut trees, today disappeared, were common in the region in the 17th century. The scimitar recalls the Muslim times. The waves stand for river Nacimiento.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 May 2014