Last modified: 2017-01-07 by ivan sache
Keywords: mijas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Mijas - Image from the Símbolos de Málaga website, 19 September 2016
The municipality of Mijas (79,483 inhabitants in 2015, therefore the 3rd most populated municipality in the province; 14,880 ha; presentation) is located on the Costa del Sol, 30 km south-west of Málaga and just east of Marbella. The municipality is made of three main settlements, Mijas Pueblo (the historical, white village, famous for its taxi-donkeys), Las Lagunas (43,961 inh.), and La Cala de Mijas (c. 2,000 inh., the sea resort). The municipality experienced a demographic boom in the last decades of the 20th century, its population increasing from 9,327 in 1970 to 46,232 in 2001.
Mijas was a Roman town known as Tarnisa / Tarmina, located close to the road connecting Málaga to Cádiz. The town was conquered in 714 by Abdalaziz, the son of Muza, after a negotiation with the Visigothic inhabitants of Mijas. The Moors renamed the town Mixa.
During the rebellion raised by the Muladi Omar Ben Hafsun and his sons in the 10th-11th century, Mijas was seized by the rebels.
Mijas was reconquerred by the Christians in 1487, a few years before the fall of the Nasrid kingdom. Several Muslims stayed in the town, where they mixed with Christian colonists.
Loyal to Joanna the Mad during the War of the Comuneros, Mijas was granted the status of villa in 1512.
Manuel Cortés Quero (1906-1991), aka El Topo de Mijas (The Mole of Mijas) was the last Republican mayor of Mijas during the Civil War. On 6 February 1937, Cortés fled Mijas, soon to be assaulted by the Nationalists, together with his wife, Juliana, and their daughter, María, aged one year and a half. One day later, he asked Juliana to go back to Mijas with Maráa and joined a group of fighters heading to Almería. Secretly back to Mijas on the evening of 17 April 1939 after the disbanding of his unit in Valencia, Cortés hid in his own house for the next three decades. On 28 March 1969, he heard on the radio the amnesty granted by the Government for all "crimes" committed between 18 July 1936 and 1 April 1939.
The story was revealed on 13 April 1969 in the newspaper Sur (Málaga), which prompted journalists from all over the world to rush to Mijas. After his "re-birth", Cortés said to his friends: "The war is finally over for mer".
Ivan Sache, 19 September 2016
The flag of Mijas (photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo), adopted on 30 October 1998 by the Municipal Council, is prescribed by Decree No. 16, adopted on 24 January 2000 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 22 February 2000 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 22 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: In landscape format, made of three parallel stripes perpendicular to the hoist, the first, green, the second, white, and the third, blue. On the white stripe; centered, the local coat of arms.
The construction sheet for the flag (municipal website) gives, for a flag of 100 cm x 150 cm; a coat of arms of 25 cm x 25 cm.
The coat of arms of Mijas, submitted on 2 December 2011 by the Municipal Council to the Directorate of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 17 January 2012 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 30 January 2012 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 19, p. 47 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Argent a tower argent on a mount surrounded by two half trees proper. The shield surrounded by acanthus flowers vert, azure and gules. The shield surmounted by a coronet or with five florets surmounted by pearls.
Ivan Sache, 19 September 2016