Last modified: 2010-11-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: haute-marne | der | letters: cyd (red) | letters: cyd (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Burgee of the CNBPP, left, today's version, right, former version - Images by Ivan Sache, 3 January 2010
Yachting Club du Der (YCD), founded on 27 March 1958, is based at Port de Nemours, municipality of Sainte-Livière.
Inaugurated in 1974, Lake Der (aka Lake Der-Chantecoq; 4,800 ha,
therefore the largest man-made lake in Europe by its area) was started
in 1967 as a reservoir aimed at regulating river Marne, responsible
(via the Seine) of catastrophic floodings in Paris, for instance in
1910 and 1924. Built on the site of the former, smaller Reservoir of
Champaubert-aux-Bois, the lake required the flooding of the three
villages of Chantecoq, Nuisement-aux-Bois and Champaubert-aux-Bois.
The church of Champaubert, located on the Giffaumont-Champaubert
Paeninsula, is the only component of the three villages still visible
on its original site, while the church of Nuisement has been
transported and rebuit as it was before in the new village of Sainte-
Lake Der is a main birdspotting place, being enjoyed by waterfowl, especially common cranes. Some 250 other bird species can also be seen. The management of the lake attempts to preserve a good balance between nature conservation and outdoor sports, which are practiced in prescribed areas. Navigation is possible from March to September.
YCD, founded as Yacht Club du Der organized its first regatta in June
1958 on Reservoir of Champaubert ("Smaller Der") and was allowed to
build a club house in 1960. The club's yachting school was founded in
1965. In 1974, YCD moved to the new Lake Der ("Greater Der") and
merged its sports and leisure sections - and adopted its current name,
if I understand correctly. With 300 members, YCD was one of the
biggest yacht clubs in eastern France.
In 1982, the club organized the first Tour of Der, enjoyed by 80 windsurfers from all over France. YCD built its new club house at Port de Nemours in 1989, the port being revamped in 2003 by the Lake Der Authority. In 2008, YCD celebrated its 50th anniversary by building a beacon on the port's wharf.
Ivan Sache, 16 July 2002