Last modified: 2012-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: haute-savoie | bonneville | faucigny |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Bonneville (11,874 inhabitants in 2009; 2,715 ha) is mostly an administrative center. The neighbouring municipality of Pontchy was incorporated to Bonneville in 1961.
Bonneville was founded in 1290 by Beatrix of Faucigny as a free tax, new capital called la bonne ville (the good town). The fortress of Bonneville was destroyed in 1589 by assaulters from Bern.
Ivan Sache, 10 December 2003
The former municipal logo of Bonneville showed the bridge over the river Arve, decorated with two flags of Savoy and two horizontally divided yellow-red-yellow-red flags. A representative of the municipality of Bonneville stated that the flag with the horizontal stripes was only used on the municipal logo and not as a municipal flag, and that the municipality used the flag of Faucigny.
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 11 December 2002