This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Horncastle, Lincolnshire (England)

English Town

Last modified: 2020-10-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: horncastle | lincolnshire |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



On this page:

See also:


Introduction: Horncastle

Horncastle is an English market town and civil parish in Lincolnshire, 17 miles east of the county seat (county town) of Lincoln. As a point of history, there still remains a section of the ancient Roman walls near the town.
Pete Loeser, 21 October 2020


About a Flag for Horncastle

"Horncastle News" announced on 15 October 2008: "Horncastle Town Council would like the town to have its own flag and will be asking the town's young people to come up with some exciting designs. Over the next few weeks the council will be contacting all Horncastle schools and inviting pupils to take part in a competition to find the best design for the flag. The competition will be for three age groups with prizes for the best three designs from each age group. The top four designs from each group chosen by Horncastle Town Council will be displayed in the library during December. This will give the public a chance to choose their favourite design and determine the overall winner. Entry forms with more details and design parameters will be distributed later this month."
http://www.horncastlenews.co.uk/news/Design-a-flag-for-town.4581133.jp

More on the town on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horncastle,_Lincolnshire
Ivan Sache, 14 October 2008

A bit of a 12 year "no progress" report. As of this date it remains unclear if any flag contest was held, or any flag for the Horncastle Town Council was considered or adopted. There is still no known flag for Horncastle.
Pete Loeser, 21 October 2020


Horncastle Rural District Council Coat Of Arms

[Horncastle Rural District Council Coat Of Arms] image located by Pete Loeser, 21 October 2020

Horncastle was a rural district between 1894 and 1974 in the Parts of Lindsey, a subsection of Lincolnshire today. It was formed under the Local Government Act of 1894 from the earlier Horncastle Rural Sanitary District. It entirely surrounded the town of Horncastle, which was then an urban district town city. The rural district was abolished under the Local Government Act of 1972 and merged with other districts to form the district of East Lindsey. However in 1956 Horncastle was granted its own coat of arms.
Some of the symbols in the arms refer to the following: The double-towered castle refers to Tattershall Castle, one of the District's most famous landmarks. The two bulls' heads identify the district's cattle raising industry. The golden mitre refers to the area's monastic history and to the fact that Archbishop Stephen Langton, who presented Magna Carta for King John's signature in 1215 was born in the Horncastle district.

  • ARMS: Or a Castle of two Towers Gules on a Chief wavy Vert a Mitre Gold between two Lincolnshire Shorthorn Bulls' Heads caboshed proper.
  • CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Wreath of Laurel Vert a dexter Arm embowed in Armour the hand grasping a dexter Gauntlet all proper the upper arm charged with a Sun Or.
  • Motto: "DEFEND THE RIGHT".
  • Granted: 30th January 1956.
Source: Civic Heraldry of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland: Horncastle.
Pete Loeser, 21 October 2020