This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Avis Order (Portugal)

Last modified: 2013-11-30 by antónio martins
Keywords: avis | ordem de avis | cross: fleury (green) | cross: avis | calatrava |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



(Putative Banner of Arms)

Putative BOA of the Order of Avis
image by António Martins, 19 Feb 1998
See also:

Description and symbolism

The Avis Order used a cross fleury vert on white, sometimes hollow, and this symbol, very often in south and central western portuguese municipal arms, was present on the “national” flag and arms from 1385 to 1433.
António Martins, 19 Feb 1998


About the Order

The portuguese branch of the Calatrava Order (called Ordem Nova) was founded in 1162, based in Coimbra. Later it went to Évora (as Ordem de Milicia), and then to Avis — changing its name to that of the town.
António Martins, 19 Feb 1998


Modern use of the emblem

Municipal use of the emblem

Jorge Candeias, 06 Feb 2001


Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.