This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nassau County, New York (U.S.)

Last modified: 2024-01-20 by rick wyatt
Keywords: new york | nassau county | police department |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Nassau County, New York] image by Blas Delgado, 26 February 2001

Known Flag - indicates flag is known.
No Known Flag - indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.

Municipal flags in Nassau County:

See also:

Description of the flag

An orange flag with the seal of the county in the center.  The seal bears an outer white ring with the county and state name in blue, a golden disk, and a blue shape bearing a rampant lion and 6 gold spots.

What is now known as "Nassau County" was part of Queens County until 1899. "Nassau" was a name given to the whole of Long Island by the British; it was still used in the 1700's but fell into disuse (unlike the county names, which survive only because official business refers to them, there was no such power to enforce "Nassau" for the island). Of course, it was named for William.

When (Greater) New York City was consolidated in 1898, the western part of Queens joined, but the eastern part didn't. A year later, the eastern part formed its own county; after considering a few names, it settled on "Nassau," in homage to the old island name.
Nathan Lamm, 25 March 2002

The arms are those of the Dutch House of Nassau. The orange colour of the field is a reminder of the Dutch and their national dynastic colours of orange and blue. The Dutch were the colonial era rulers of Queens and what was to become Nassau County. Originally, Nassau County was a part of Queens County. When New York City consolidated in 1898, the citizens of Queens County's eastern 3 towns voted the following year NOT to join the new city. Instead they opted to live in a new county which was named "Nassau".
Daniel S. Padovano, 20 November 2002

Queens County was in limbo for a year- the western part in New York City, the eastern part not. Since two jurisdictions couldn't tax the same person, the western residents were paying their taxes to the City, and the County was getting nothing from them. This and other factors led the non-City parts to become a new county, in 1899. (Part of one eastern town, the Rockaway Peninsula, became part of the City.)
Nathan Lamm, 21 November 2002

County Seal

[Seal of Nassau County] located by Paul Bassinson, 8 December 2016
Image obtained from

Nassau County Police Department

[Flag of Nassau County Police Dept, New York] image located by Valentin Poposki, 17 April 2010

The flag of the Nassau County Police Department is presented on Wikipedia at It is blue with double-border Blue - out, and Red - in, and police NCPD seal in the center.

Official website:
Valentin Poposki, 17 April 2010

The Nassau County Police Department has an affiliated Police Auxiliary which also has a flag. According to their website at
"The Auxiliary Police are made up of residents from communities throughout Nassau County which:
* Patrol in marked vehicles helping to make their community a safer place to live
* Help prevent criminal activity by being the "eyes and ears" of the Police Department.
* Direct traffic at parades and special events.
* Serve during disasters and other emergencies.

The Auxiliary Police was established pursuant to provisions of the Civil Defense act of 1951 and is composed of civic-minded residents of the community who work together to improve the level of safety and security in their community"

A photo of their flag can be seen at [in context at - note the auxiliary flag is the gold-fringed one on the far right; the orange flag on the left with the US and State flags is Nassau County, and the yellow, green, and green flags next to the Auxiliary's flag are the towns
of Hempstead, Oyster Bay, and North Hempstead. Other photos clickable at show more detail. The flag has a medium blue field, has the county seal in the middle, above it arched gold lettering AUXILIARY POLICE; and below the seal in a straight line NASSAU COUNTY, N.Y.

Ned Smith, 18 April 2010